Powered by Blogger.

Quarantine Thoughts, Vol. VI: A Fair Trade


Hiiii friends.

I hope this blog post finds you well.

...which is what every email I've sent in the last month has started with.

I have actually been doing very well despite the circumstances. Or at least better than I expected. I feared a shift in my mental health; but I have been strong, and God has been good. We've set up some really healthy habits to keep my body and mind active. In fact, I've been exercising everyday except Saturday's for the last 3 weeks! My friends laugh at me because I consistently hit a time of year when I want to be fit; so I'll try running, and it never lasts more than 3 days. I think I just needed to figure out that cardio is not for me.

While my own mental and physical health has been strong, I've been trying to be more mindful of those who are really struggling right now. In my own world, I know that cast members are having a hard time that will only continue to get harder, as many of us will be furloughed after the 18th. I know that I will be okay, but I am sad for those who truly miss making the magic of Disney. There are some who feel their whole purpose is tied to creating happiness here. I can only imagine the emptiness that many CM's are experiencing, especially our front line operations cast. It is an extraordinary honor to wear a name tag and be a part of this legacy, and it has been an emotional week knowing we will be laying down those name tags indefinitely.

But as I lay my name tag down, I will be picking up my paintbrush with enthusiasm. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit excited for the chance to work full time on my business.  There are so many of my own personal ideas to create, business updates and rebranding to do. I have quite a few custom orders, some in bulk as client gifts for other small businesses. For once I am not intimidated by the number of orders I've received, knowing I now have every single day to devote to painting. When else would I get this opportunity? I believe it has to be a God-thing... As if to prove His provision, I just received enough orders to supplement my income for the first week I won't be receiving a paycheck from Disney. Like, is this for real? He doesn't have to be this good, this kind - but He is. He is Jehovah-Jireh.

Other thoughts:

- I need a haircut. Straight haired folks can't cut their own hair the same way curls can. It doesn't look as bad right now as the photo in this post makes it seem, but I'm certainly getting there.

- We have been keeping a list of all the content we've consumed while in quarantine, and the variety is honestly hilarious (from Parasite to Nicholas Sparks to Cheaper By The Dozen). I'll be sure to share the list at some point.

- I'm hoping to finish Bob Iger's book soon (when did I become such a distracted reader?) and will probably post some thoughts here once I'm done.

- Also Easter was emotional for me to no one's surprise, but I really wished I could be emotional surrounded by my church family.

Just thought I would share a short update. The month ahead might be difficult, but it will also be good.

No comments