Powered by Blogger.

The Lights Are So Bright - NYC 2018


Alright, friends, it's the post you've all been waiting for... NEW YORK CITY.

Prepare yourself for the longest blog post ever because I'm not splitting it up and everything's getting dumped here - from Times Square to engagements to Central Park to Broadway. As I mentioned in my previous post, we drove into the city from Kelly's place in NJ on Wednesday morning, stayed the night in her brother's apartment in Hoboken, and spent another day in the city on Thursday. We did practically everything, and I have never walked so much in my LIFE.

First we took the train into the World Trade Center and saw the 9/11 memorial, which definitely brought tears to my eyes. Next we walked around NYU and did some shopping in Soho until lunch.

 


We ate lunch at this AMAZING place called Vapiano. It's a pasta/pizza bar, and it was honestly the best pasta I've ever had in my life. The set up is really unique, kind of like a cafeteria, but fancy ??? It was so nice, and the prices weren't outrageous for the quality. Loved it. 




After lunch, we went to the Museum of Modern Art which I LOVED. I think the classics are definitely my favorite. Then we went over to St. Patrick's Cathedral and then to Rockefeller Center for more shopping. 

 


 





So a little backstory on the purpose of this trip...

My friends Reb and Kelly live up in New Jersey, and we lived together during my DCP Summer Alumni edition. Our other roommate, Sarah (who I lived with DCP1 and DCP2), was taking a trip to visit the city with her boyfriend and his family, and invited me to meet up with all of them. I knew the timeline of Sarah and Victor's relationship pretty well, so I took a chance and Facebook messaged Victor to see if he was proposing (Hmm, creepy or endearing?) so that I could be there to take pictures. I should be a freaking proposal planner because it turns out my inkling was correct and he was! BUT we decided to keep it a secret from Sarah and say that I wasn't coming because flights were too expensive. 

We secretly planned for a couple of months, and the moment could not have been more perfect. I literally blocked Sarah on Instagram and Snapchat up until the proposal because naturally I had to document without her knowing I was in the city! We all got tickets to Top of Rockefeller Center, and Kelly and I went up first to find a spot to hide. We were so worried and nervous that she'd see us, but it went off without a hitch! 



Pictured below is Sarah's reaction when she finally saw us! Most successful surprise ever, because why the heck would I be NYC? Priceless.

 



 


 



After the proposal, we met up with Victor's family and all got cheesecake at this place called Junior's. It was such a surreal, sweet time with some of my greatest friends. Sarah and Victor are such a beautiful match, and I couldn't be more proud to know them. They are so loved. 

The next day we met up in Times Square, did some shopping until we had lunch at a poké restaurant called Pokéworks. After lunch, we did Central Park which honestly could've taken the whole day. 


 


 

 Okay, Y'ALL. Did anyone else see the beloved children's movie Balto??? That was one of my favorite movies ever as a child, and to say I freaked out when we found the statue is an understatement. I freaking love Balto. 



"Meaghan, is there any specific parts of Central Park you want to see?"
"Actually, yes... can we go to the spot where Chuck and Blair got married?"

Yes, I hate myself too. Also the locations of the iconic film Enchanted were included in this lil tour.


 



 


 


(Mini engagement sesh in the park!!!)

Okay, but my FAVORITE PART OF THE WHOLE TRIP has to be the Broadway show Dear Evan Hansen. I became obsessed and memorized the soundtrack about a year ago, so I jumped at the chance to see it with the original cast!!! The performance itself was flawless, but the meaning and motifs laced into the fabric of the story is the most beautiful thing.

It's the story of a boy named Evan with raging social anxiety and low self-esteem, searching for a place to matter and belong, but too afraid to share who he really is. I laughed a lot, but cried even more. One of the saddest but most beautiful lines is in the song Words Fail:

"I've learned to slam on the brake
Before I even turn the key
Before I make the mistake
Before I lead with the worst of me
I never let them see the worst of me

'Cause what if everyone saw?
What if everyone knew?
Would they like what they saw?
Or would they hate it too?
Will I just keep running away from what's true?

All I ever do is run
So how do I step in
Step in to the sun?"

I think I love this musical so much because I see a shadow of my former self in Evan. I know what it's like to be afraid... terrified even, of sharing who you are. Afraid that you are too much or not enough. Trying to be a reflection of surrounding people because if someone saw you for who truly are, it would be too painful if they turned away. It just reminded me of where I'd been; and it wasn't a painful reminder, but actually rather sweet. A sweet reminder of how far the Lord has carried me.

Also, I got my Playbill signed by the cast, and it's currently framed in my room. I know that I'm crazy, it's fine.

 

 

So that was New York, people. It was grand and exciting, but I won't say it was my favorite city in the whole world. Even so, I'd jump at the chance to go back. I think it would be a unique experience to live there at some point in my life, because it's different when you're not playing tourist.

But until next time, NYC. 

3 comments

  1. These photos are BEAUTIFUL Meaghan. I'm so happy you got to experience the city and see DEH! My roommate is from NJ so we are constantly trying to plan a trip to her hometown so I can finally get to see NYC too, this makes me so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kayla! Wow, I will be so excited for the day you go... you will take the most beautiful pictures!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. <3 These photos are stunning. You have such a gift for photography.

    This trip looks so fun! I love that engagement surprise. :) And you are so not crazy for framing that Playbill- I'm right there with you, girl. Words Fail is one of my favorite songs from that show.

    ReplyDelete