Powered by Blogger.

Eyes Up


I feel like people are always wanting to hear from God, whether they admit it or not. We want signs. We want proof and direction. We want the stars to align and something greater than ourselves to step in when we don't know what to do. I think we actually expect it.

My question then is are we really looking for God? Are we expecting Him to show up more than just at the big life moments, but also in the day to day?

Looking for God is something that I think starts with training. It must be ingrained in us to keep our eyes open with expectation.

My friend and college mentor Katie was really the first person to teach me how to do this. She would talk about Jesus as if He was her best friend. Katie did missions in Belgium for a summer, and she would describe going on walks with Jesus around the city, getting lost, and letting Him guide her back home. The way she shared her conversations with Him felt as real and tangible as the ones we would have at a table in Highland Coffees. I don't think I understood Jesus as a best friend until I met Katie.

I wanted Him to be as real to me as He was to her.

So I went on walks. I spent time alone. I took time to do all the things that made me feel closer to Him, like painting and chasing sunsets and laying in the grass. We spent time together like most people in relationship with others do, and He would speak. Never audibly, but in the quiet movements of the heart. 

I looked for Him outside of a regular worship service. Gatherings for church/worship are special because they are deliberate and intentional, but you reach a point where you crave His presence more than once or twice a week.

I see God at Disney, in childlike wonder and beautiful things as seen in fairytales.

One of my favorite ways to encounter God is through people Not to be confused with seeing people as God, but we are created in the image of God as His greatest handiwork. In people I see God's creativity and kindness. When I feel loved by others, it is only a fraction of the immensity of God's love toward me. Really every human emotion reminds me of the great capacity with which we have been created to feel. When I see movies or art or technology created by humans, I think of the magnitude of the God who created them.

Life is much less lonely this way. Even when I am physically alone, I know Holy Spirit dwells within me, bringing God's presence the closest it can be on this earth. Even just the other day I was out shopping by myself, but felt the presence of the Lord going with me... and we were just walking around Target! 

It starts with training our heart and mind to operate with expectation. He is the One who always shows up and always comes through. He promises to be found when we seek Him with all of our heart. He promises to hear all that we ask in His name. I believe that. So ask Him... Ask Him to show Himself to you throughout your day; and I know that He will because He who promised is faithful.

I have found my closest and truest friend in Jesus. 

So eyes up, my friends. God longs to show Himself to us throughout our day. He is all around us... we need only to be looking for Him. 

1 comment

  1. Oh, I just love this. It's something I've been learning a lot over this past year. When you really start being intentional about spending time with Him and looking for Him, it's so beautiful all that you see.

    ReplyDelete