Powered by Blogger.

Hands That Pull


Something I would like to practice boldness in is speaking life and affirmation over others.

I was on the phone with my friend Brooke the other day, and we were both feeling pretty down and discouraged about a few things. But discouraged is not how I left our conversation. After sharing some of the burdens I had been feeling, Brooke was quick to encourage me and speak truth over who I am and remind me of the promises of God that would be fulfilled to me.

It wasn't just a pat on the back or half-hearted complement to try and boost my spirits... she was so quick to affirm my identity as a Christ follower, while also dissipating any lies that told me that the Lord wouldn't come through for me.

Our conversation pushed me to seek more of the Lord even in discouragement. So I thought to myself, when have I ever given such a truth and faith-filled response to discouragement? When have I jumped at the chance to affirm all the good I see in someone? I want to be more like Brooke in this way.

I want to know the Father so well that I would be quick to rebuke any thoughts or feelings that contrast His character. This comes from being so immersed in truth that you have that immediate discernment.

I want to speak words of affirmation and truth without hesitation. At any moment of doubt or self-deprecation, let me be quick to cover it in truth.

Why are we so afraid to speak life over people? Or even offer just a simple complement to their face?

I'm ashamed to say even the pettiest of reasons are enough to keep me quiet. The fear that people will think I'm weird or cheesy or over-dramatic. Even as I write that, I know it's rooted in caring what other's think about me. But if we zoom out and look at the bigger picture, what others think about me is irrelevant when practicing obedience in speech that will please the Father. How little it matters what other people think of me if it pushes another person closer toward Christ.

Perhaps we don't even have to wait until someone reaches a valley to build them back up again. What if we practiced day to day encouragement? I saw a quote on Pinterest once that said if you see something good in someone, speak it. I love that. Our words have power. If a positive manner of speech becomes a norm for us, it will become a reflex reaction to someone feeling downhearted.

As cheesy as it is, you never know how God will use whatever you say to impact them. I do know that we can trust that obedience to whatever He puts on your heart to say will bear fruit.

So this one goes out to you, my dear friend Brooke. Thank you for this sweet lesson and for giving me a hand and pulling me out of a valley to press on all the more toward Christ. I hope we can all take turns being confident hands that pull or hands that boost in order to make it even a step closer to Him.


SaveSave

No comments