Powered by Blogger.

The DCP And Me


Hey everyone! I know it's been a while, but if you haven't already heard...

I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO THE DISNEY COLLEGE PROGRAM SPRING 2016!


What is the Disney College Program? It's considered a paid internship with Walt Disney World (or Disneyland) where I accept a specific "role" and work for Disney for a semester.

I can choose to take one or two of the courses Disney offers, which include courses like Disney Human Resource Management, Disney Marketing, Disney Heritage, etc. It's different for every school, but for LSU, most of those courses will count as an Elective in my schoolwork. There is one course specifically (Disney Corporate Analysis) that will count toward my Business Management degree so lucky me! I know there are seminar courses and collegiate courses; the difference is that seminar is on site learning, and collegiate is like a normal college course, but with the opportunity to apply what you're learning to the workplace. There are some DCP students that choose to take online courses from their home university, but I won't be. Who wants to be doing schoolwork while at Disney World!? The only way I'm able to do the program without taking any online courses is that I'm far enough ahead in my school work towards my degree to basically take off a semester.

Also, DCP is relatively cheap in comparison to what I normally pay for school. There is a processing fee and a down payment for housing; then my rent for housing with DCP will come directly out of my paycheck. It's probably different with each school, but LSU does charge me a fee to remain a full time student and keep TOPS/Financial Aid even though I won't be taking any classes.

What will I be doing in Disney World exactly? I'll be working under Merchandise! I won't know specifically where I'm working until I get there in the spring. Merch can include any retail shops or outside stands that sell merchandise. I have a lot of experience in working retail, so that's probably why I was selected for the role. I'm a little nervous, because to be honest I don't want to be stuck at a job that I hate... but it's Disney World! It couldn't be all bad. And I know it will be an opportunity to serve and find joy in every day.


When exactly will I be going? Well my dates are February 1st to June 2nd. Just about three whole months until I leave and four whole months away from home! It doesn't seem like much, but I usually come home from college at least once a month. It'll be okay though... my family is planning a trip probably over spring break to come see me. I'm also in the process of convincing all my friends to come too, but we're all poor college kids so ya know... If I really end up liking my job at Disney, I may even extend throughout the summer until August. Who knows!


It's been a week since I've been accepted, and I'm still on a high from that! I can't believe that I'm actually going to be working in Disney next spring. And I can't wait to share all the magical moments I'll have throughout the semester! Also, can we talk about the perks/rewards of working at Disney? Free admission to the parks on my days off, discounts errywhere, previews of opening attractions, cast member parties... Plus, I'll be close to Universal aka Harry Potter World aka my true home.

The program is a lot of work because I'll be working 30-45 hours a week... but the rewards and experience more than make up for it I'm sure.

I know it's like Disney World, the happiest place on earth, and everything, but I would appreciate some prayer. Under all the excitement is just a smidgen of nervousness. Just add me to the bottom of your list under all the really important stuff... I'm in the process of finding roommates, so if you could just pray some direction and guidance my way. Pray that the Lord will prepare both my heart and my future roomies' heart for what He has for us. Pray that I will be receptive to the Lord's guidance, and that I will trust in Him to have this all in His hands.

I've already met so many wonderful people through the number of Facebook groups I've joined. Everyone is so excited and we're from all over nation! Thankfully I do have a close friend from school doing the program with me, and we are counting down the days until February.

Chandler and I at the LSU vs. Florida game
School is actually impossible to concentrate on now, because again... I'LL BE IN DISNEY IN THE SPRING. While everyone is busy scheduling for the spring semester, I'm planning a bucket list for Disney World.

Okay, I promise this post wasn't intended to make anyone jealous... I'm just so excited! Excited for the experience and excited to share it with everyone.

If you have any questions about my application process or anything like that, feel free to message/email me! I don't know everything, but I can for sure tell you what's up with my experience. That's all I have about the DCP for now!

Senior trip to Disney World 2014

4 comments

  1. Love this & you Meg! I hope it is an AMAZING life experience that blesses you immensely! Post about it while you are over there, you will do great things! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet girl! You're the best! Love ya!

      Delete
  2. SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! I can't wait to hear all about the program, because I've been interested in it for a while! How many hours ahead were you, by the way?

    I'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! You should totally do it! Um, I'm not sure on how many hours ahead I was exactly... I can check for you though! I know I was at least a semester ahead... Last spring I was already considered a sophomore. But I'll let you know Hannah!

      Delete