Powered by Blogger.

It's Okay To Be Lonely

(via)
Sometimes I am lonely.

Not for friends, or company, or someone to talk to.

I am lonely for a "significant other." A soulmate, a best friend with a side of romance. A Jack to my Rose; a Noah to Allie; a Troy to Gabriella. Ah, the plight of singleness.

I know every girl feels or has felt this way before. It's not a new thing, and I don't even think it's something to be ashamed of.

Yesterday as I was walking to class, I passed a couple who were walking and talking together. I just happened to glance at them when their hands met, and their fingers intertwined. And it just stuck out to me because it was so natural, like their hands were made for each other. Like they just fit.

Now I don't even know these people. I'm just creepin'. I don't know what their relationship is like or who they are... I didn't even look at their faces. But in that moment when their hands met, I felt a subtle ache in my heart. I couldn't get this couple out of my head all day. I had this longing for romance; to love and be loved. I wanted that. And honestly, don't we all?

Whenever I would experience loneliness and longing in the past, I would have asked God to take it away from me. I didn't want to go through it anymore; I just wanted it to be gone. Feeling nothing was better than hurting. I was ashamed of myself for feeling this way. I felt like longing for a relationship was weak or pathetic.

But there is a certain beauty in this longing. Every person experiences it. It's natural. Why? Especially for women? As a woman created in the image of God, what part of me reflects His image? The longing! It's not the only part, of course, but it's one. Just as we long to be loved and honored and pour out love on another person, so does God. He loves us immeasurably! He wants to pour out His love on us, and He wants His children to love Him in return. He also longs to be pursued and chased after with all our hearts; not because He needs our love, but because He desires it.

So I don't ask that God take this longing for love away from me, because it's built into the fibers of my being. This is a part of me, and I realized I wouldn't want to remove this part of me that reflects such a beautiful part of God's heart. Instead I ask that He would just be with me. I ask that He would meet me where I'm at and hold my heart. And I found that just confessing this to Him and talking with Him about where I'm at, that He is faithful to provide peace and comfort. There is no condemnation here; there is no shame. Only love.

Let it be known, I am content in my singleness. It may not seem like it... but I am. I'm not pitifully moping around all the time, looking for love around every corner. I know this is where God has me, and what He has planned for me at this point in my life. I know that there is beauty and freedom in singleness. There are days when I embrace it, and there are days when I'm sad. But I am okay with it.

So yeah, this is vulnerability. These are the real feelings, ya'll. It's okay to be lonely. I've been there. We've all been there. I am overcome with thankfulness that God is kind and understands our hearts better than anyone else. Press in to Him, dear heart.

Captivating by Stasi Eldredge
Becoming Myself by Stasi Eldredge

These are both fantastic books to read if you identify with this article or if you want to discover the beauty of a woman's soul. I've read them both and highly recommend!

1 comment