Powered by Blogger.

Friday Night Reflections


Happy weekend to everyone! For most of the people I know, this marks the end of the first week of the college school year. The first week is always the best week because it's syllabus week aka usually nothing too hard is assigned or due. And Friday is the best day because it's the beginning of the weekend!

My Friday consisted of going to class, and then making the two hour drive back home for the weekend. I needed to pick up a few things, and cuddle with my dogs. Now comfortably settled in my own bed, I am serenaded by the sweet sounds of Ben Rector's brand new album "Brand New." No really, it's called "Brand New" and it's going to be on repeat for a good three weeks. I highly suggest anything Ben Rector.


Now as my life is slowing down a bit, I'm able to process my week and everything that's happened recently. So many changes have occurred for everyone, I'm sure, in such short time.

Being back at school has been so incredible already. This year, my university really feels like home. I feel more confident, established, comfortable. I have a community to be a part of, and I know what my place is there. I've learned that sometimes you just need to watch High School Musical and sing every word with your friends on the first night of school. Wednesday night I learned how to play hostess and cook for 17 people. That was a fun experience... had to call my mom for help on that one. Also I'm learning the rights of a pedestrian on a bicycle? I still don't know all the rules...

But mainly I'm in awe of all that God is doing through the ministry I'm a part of and through the ministries across campus! I've noticed so much change and growth in campus outreaches... just in the effort put into building connections and reaching people for the Gospel. College kids can often be overlooked, I think, because we're in this awkward stage of growing up, but still needing guidance. We're legally adults, but what do we contribute to the adult world? 

I don't think God discounts the importance that college students have in furthering His Kingdom. In fact, I believe there's a special place in His heart for college students. College is one of the most important times in one's life; you are on your own and you are entering into the real world. College is when most people find out who they truly are. So why not lead them to knowing who they truly are in Christ and teaching them that their identity isn't found in anything but Christ? 

With all that said, I've realized the importance of this time I have as a college student. There is importance in building relationships with those around me. There is importance in seeking out those who are broken or just need someone to be there, and being committed to loving them. College is a whole new world, with whole new people and opportunities. It is important to actively and consistently reach out to students so that they don't feel overlooked and lost within the crazy world of college. 

I'm not entirely sure how I even got on the topic in the last three paragraphs... one paragraph it's Ben and HSM, the next it's all about college students and Jesus. But that basically sums up my week! It's been exciting and new and I'm loving every second (minus the seconds spent in Accounting class). 

I know I've talked a lot of my first week, but I'd love to hear how your first week of college went! Even if you don't feel like sharing in the comments or through email, I encourage you to take time to process it, journal it out, whatever. What are the moments that were thrilling, and what were the moments that were totally new and unnerving? How did you see God moving through you and across your campus?

I wish everyone a relaxing weekend and an even better second week of school!

2 comments

  1. I'm a little late to this, but my first week was... Busy. Not in the sense that my schedule didn't allow any rest but in the sense that I still tried to figure out how I wanted to spend this semester, how I wanted to make friends, make memories, and most importantly, make Jesus glorified!

    Great Post Meaghan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for sharing Hannah! It can be stressful and tiring, but exciting trying to figure all that stuff out! And it's awesome that you're setting goals and planning all that out for yourself right at the start. I can't wait to see what God has in store for you!

      Delete