Powered by Blogger.

Monday Motivation: For When You Don't Feel Like Wonder Woman


Hey friends.

Something you might not know about me:

I am easily intimidated.

I have dealt with high social anxiety in the past, though it is quieter now. I make a lot of assumptions and can easily be trapped in the lies of comparison. It doesn't take a lot to make me feel small inside.

Recently I felt my levels of anxiety begin to rise, and I realized I was feeling intimidated by my week. It was Sunday night, and as I was looking across the horizon of all that I had to do, I already felt nervous and defeated before even really starting.

I was looking at the mountain of literal things to do like homework assignments and classes. I was looking at the work and effort it would take to get those things done. I was looking at the people in my life that I love the most, and the time and emotion it takes to invest in them. I was looking at my future in all of its uncertainty, knowing the resumes and applications and interviews it would take to get where I want to be.

I was looking at all this mess; and while I told myself "I can't do this," I just immediately felt in my spirit the Lord say, "You will not and cannot be intimidated by tomorrow."

As a Christ follower, a spirit of intimidation (or fear, as it truly is) contradicts the the spirit of power, love, and strong mind that we are promised. Both can't reside within us. We must choose which will be in control.

And I believe this choice starts in the mind.

It starts with repeating in your head and out loud that you will not be intimidated. You can do hard things. You are equipped and able through the power of Christ that is within you. Sometimes it seems like our hearts will run way ahead of our minds. It can be easier to listen to what we feel over what is true. And if we only lived by what we feel, then a whole lot less would get done and a whole lot more people would go unloved.

In the middle of my anxiety, it certainly didn't feel like I could handle all that was on my plate. I didn't feel like I was able. I didn't feel motivated or strong. But part of having faith is choosing to believe that the Lord would pull through for me and that He would carry me through this week, regardless of my feelings. 

So my friends, if you are looking at this week and feel intimidated by tomorrow... take heart. 

You are strong and able even if you don't feel like it. You don't need to feel like Wonder Woman to do hard Wonder Woman-like things. It starts with the small steps of obedience. Sometimes it looks like simple flare prayers as you walk out the door. It's okay to give yourself miniature pep talks and write motivational notes in your planner. 

Don't be afraid to lean on Jesus when it's hard. You know that good feeling when you're able to be there for someone and be a helping hand or shoulder to cry on? I think Jesus feels the same way toward us. He longs to meet our needs and make up for what we lack. 

All that to say, I pray you tackle this week head on no matter what you feel. Fear and intimidation cannot steal what the Lord has already won for you. 

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." - 2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)
"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need." - Hebrews 4:16 (NKJV)
"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." - Ephesians 2:10

4 comments

  1. I honestly needed this so badly coming back from this weekend filled with discouragement. Thank you for these words of truth preparing my heart to press on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw of course Stephanie! I'll absolutely be praying for you this week!

      Delete
  2. I may just now be commenting, but I read this first thing on Monday morning, and it pumped me up to take on the day. As a fellow easily-intimidated person- thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! Sometimes I just need a pep talk to really get going!

      Delete