Powered by Blogger.

Life Is Not Always Friday

My favorite days are and have always been Friday's.

I've always had school on Friday's, but that feeling of being done with school and it's finally the weekend... well, that's my favorite feeling. Pure freedom.

Some thoughts:

I live a blessed life. I go to school at the best and most beautiful university. I live with my best friends. My hair is growing at an acceptable pace. I now have friends all over the country... all over the world in fact. I serve a God who faithfully meets with me everyday.

I have so much to look forward to in life, but I pray that I would serve God just as faithfully even when I don't have so much to look forward to. The whole "I will praise You in this storm" theme comes to mind when I say that, but I don't think we regularly dwell on that when life is going as it should.

It's actually easier for me to be in relationship with God when life is going well. It's easier for me because I credit all good things to come from Him.

But when storms do come, when I have a torrential downpour of days that don't feel like Friday's, it's hard for me to cling to God when I need Him the most. I get distracted and try to balance everything on my own during a time that I should be depending on Him the the most. In feeling that He has turned His favor from me, I turn my back on Him.

I read that and think of the ridiculousness of myself; but I know myself, and I know it's true.

In my time with the Lord today, I was gently reminded that I need to be in the same attitude of thankfulness even when life turns into an endless cycle of Monday's. See, the Lord knows me way better than I know myself. He knows that I'm embracing and enjoying all that He has for me, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But He just asked that I would remember the commitment I have now and retain it, even when I don't want to.

That's something that's never occurred to me... to commit my future self to God in the knowledge that realistically I'm going to have hard days/seasons. That doesn't stop me from living life to the fullest now, but it's reassuring to know that my faith does not have to be the strongest when life is good. Good circumstances do not have to be the peak of my joy in Christ; perhaps the greatest growth and intimacy I experience will be in the hard times.

Let's not limit ourselves to being faithful when it's easy. Let's rejoice in the blessings of a Friday, but remember that Monday's, though they look or feel different, can be good too.

No comments